The Hyundai Tournament of Champions is in just a few days. Thirty-two pros will tee off at the Plantation Course at Kapalua. The prize? An invitation to play in Maui next year. Here are the top 5 golfers to pay attention to this tournament.
- Jordan Spieth. All the indoor golf practice won’t be for nothing. Finishing 18 under par in Maui two years ago wasn’t enough for this golfer. There is no question he is the one to beat this week.
- Jason Day. The kid from down-under hasn’t toured since the Presidents Cup. But this new dad should be right where he left off at Kapalua. Finishing with a tie for third last year was the best year in his career.
- Patrick Reed. The champ concluded 2015 with six straight top 10 finishes. With a couple of runner-up results, Patrick Reed shot 6-under 67 in three out of eight competitive rounds at Kapalua.
- Brooks Koepka. The lefty has it all, and his tee can take it the distance. Although he finished in top 20 last season in scoring average, strokes gained putting and ball-striking. Koepka should be one to keep on eye this tournament.
- Rickie Fowler. After a breakout season with three worldwide wins, Fowler should be entertaining to watch. He finished with T-6 at the 54 hole Kapalua in the 2013 season. Look for a lot of improvement in Fowler’s game this year.